March 31, 1962 was a new dimension and a great event in the history of the congregation of the carmelites of Mary Immaculate.The congregation was then entrusted with the first Mission territory outside Kerala called the Ordinariate of Chanda. Members from all the then existing 3 provinces were sent to work in the new mission area under the leadership of very Rev.Fr.Januarius CMI.
The Congregation of Carmelites of Mary Immaculate (CMI) is the first indigenous religious congregation in the Catholic Church of India. Fr. Thomas Palackal, Fr. ThomasPorukara and Fr. Kuriakose Chavara of the Syro-Malabar Church of apostolic origin, who felt that a lot of good had not been done due to the absence of a Thapasu Bhavanam(House of Discipline) and a Darsana Veedu (House of Vision), had the challenging vision of providing spiritual leadership and fostering unity and growth in the Kerala Church. With the permission of Bishop Maurelius Stabilini, the then Vicar Apostolic of Verapoly, they founded a religious house at Mannanam on 11 May 1831. Jacob Kanianthara who later became the first professed brother in the Congregation, cooperated with the founding fathers from the beginning. The name of the Congregation was Servants of Mary Immaculate.